I woke up to a nice surprise on Saturday morning:
I was nominated for my first award, The Sunshine Award. The Sunshine Award is awarded by bloggers to bloggers who positivity and creativity inspire others in the blog universe. I didn’t really take blogging seriously until a few months ago, but it’s nice to see that in a few short months, things have taken off. Woo hoo!
On to the Sunshine Award. There are a few rules that go along with the nomination.
1. Acknowledge your nominating blogger
If you read this far, you know that Deb at Kneaded Creations nominated me for the award. I started following Deb a few weeks ago through a Facebook group for bloggers, Daily Blog Boost. I liked Real Food Fridays since I’m a fan of making as much as possible from scratch and started following along ever since.
2. Provide 11 random facts about yourself
1. I’m the only girl in my immediate family.
2. I once shaved my head bald by mistake.
3. I’ve been married twice.
4. I went to college after high school to get away from home not for an actual degree.
5. I read a science textbook to The Kid when he was in my belly (could be why he hates school).
6. I’m on my second and final marriage.
7. I’m the first granddaughter in my mom’s family.
8. I hate driving.
9. I have a Master’s degree because I finally went to college for a degree, not to get away from home.
10. I watch A LOT of Investigation TV. A. Lot.
11. I wanted to be a marine biologist until I realized I’d have to do something about my fear of water.
3. Answer the 11 questions your nominating blogger provided for you.
1. What is the scariest thing you have to deal with as a blogger?
Finding grammatical errors after the post is published. I know… I’m different.
2. What is the pep-talk you give yourself when you see your stats have fallen?
‘Every post won’t be a home-run.’
3. Of all the social media, which is your favorite for gaining readers?
4. How does your family influence the blog?
Without them, there would be no food because I just couldn’t tolerate being 300+ pounds and I wouldn’t DIY because I’d have unlimited funds. Well, not really, but… you know… I like to tell myself that.
5. Next year at this time, what is the blog goal you hope to reach?
Wow… um… I hadn’t really thought that far because I just like doing it. Posting daily….? Making money from it…? How’s that?
6. What was the major influence in choosing your blog topic?
It evolved naturally. I got tired of writing about losing my mother and I figured people got tired of reading about it so I switched it up. I started cooking really well and I figured everyone should share in the wonderfulness coming from the kitchen and my great wearable art and decor.
7. What is one thing that you’ve learned in the past year that you wish you’d have known before you started blogging?
To meet people ONLINE to grow my readership. I don’t know why that just occurred to me last month.
8. If you could sit back and relax anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Seattle. It’s a long story.
9. If you could sit back and relax anywhere in the world, with whom would you wish to share it?
I’ll give you the complex answer: The Hero unless I’m on strike, then I’d take The Kid unless he’s in a ‘woe is me’ state of mind then I’d take The Girl, unless she does the Hello Kitty routine before we leave. After that, there would be a lottery and the person with the most creative response to ‘why do you want to sit in Seattle with me drinking and eating seafood until we have gout?’
10. If a major corporation approached you to do a blog to feature one of their products, what company would it be, and what product would you wish to blog about?
KitchenAid and it would be the KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer with all of the attachments. It would be heaven for me. Pure bliss.
11. What advice would you give to a blogger just starting out?
Blog because you love it and don’t get discouraged when your friends and family don’t read your posts.
4. Pick 10 bloggers to nominate for this award (let them know you nominated them).
Marion @ Marionberry Style: I love Marion’s blog and it’s one of the few that survived Blog Cleansing 2013. She dresses sharp and is just a nice person all around. And those Moments of the Week are hilarious.
Cara @ Craft Dictator: I haven’t been a subscriber of Cara’s for long, but I really enjoy her posts and projects.
Jessica @ Bows and Sequins: Jessica survived Blog Cleansing 2013 too. I love her blog for almost totally different reasons than Marion’s: every once in a while, she’ll drop an f-bomb and it makes me feel good for my sometimes sailor mouth. Plus she has awesome clothes and shoes to die for.
J @ J’s Everyday Fashion: J is up there with Marion and Jessica. I like J’s posts because they’re short and get right to the point. Plus, most of her selections are in my modest clothing budget.
Kristen @ Glitter ’N Glue: Super fun blog of DIY projects that always makes me say ‘genius! why didn’t anyone think of this before?’ If you see me wearing a curtain dress, you know where the inspiration came from.
Shauna @ The Best Blog Recipes: Shauna gets nominated for connecting bloggers and encouraging support on Facebook. She also has great recipes and stops by to leave real comments despite managing and visiting posts from each of the 200+ people in her FB blogging group.
Stefani @ Cupcake Project: The first food blogger that made me feel like a screw-up in the kitchen is an opportunity to learn. I think I printed every cupcake creation the first three months. I’m always surprised at what new cupcake Stefani will think of next.
Kristin @ Dizzy, Busy and Hungry: Kristin is just nice. I just recently ‘met’ her, but I can quickly see her being up there with Marion as someone I just like.
Allyson @ Domestic Superhero: Allyson was the first person to feature one of my posts. I like going to her blog because for the vegetarian options.
Anyonita @ Anyonita Nibbles: Anyonita’s blog was one of the first link parties I started frequenting. All of the different types of foods made it stand out from the rest. I may not try them, but it was nice to see something different.
5. Post 11 questions of your own for those bloggers to answer for you (in no particular order of course).
1. Which of your posts is your favorite?
2. If you were stranded on an island, who would you call?
3. If you were a car, what kind of car would you be?
4. What made you start blogging?
5. You just got a call that you won $1 million tax-free. What’s the first thing you do?
6. Do you have kids? If not, do you want them?
7. What item of clothing would you buy if money wasn’t an issue?
8. If you could hang with any person for a day, who would it be?
9. How did you become a successful blogger?
10. Why did you start blogging? (Is that like #4?)
11. Who is your biggest supporter?